Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 89:3-4

Psalm 89:3-4    "I have made a covenant with my chosen, I have sworn unto David my servant,  (4)  Thy seed will I establish for ever, and build up thy throne to all generations. Selah."

Even before I opened my computer to begin writing, I thought about this word covenant. I knew it was going to be in this 89th Psalm, but I could not remember which verse would begin the thoughts of the covenant. Covenant is a very important word, but I'm not so sure how important it is held in the minds of some people. There was a time in our country that "a man was as good as his word." Bankers did business with a handshake.  If someone said they were going to do something, you could be assured that only an emergency situation would prevent them from doing it. And even then, they would find a way to get it done. Today, ball players want a new contract every other year even though they are already making more money than anyone should ever have or could rightfully spend. It is a fact that contracts, or covenants, do not carry the impact that they once did.

I admit that I do not think about this word every single day, but there are times when the covenant of God holds great importance in my life. Today, this morning, is one of those days when the covenant mentioned in verse 3 holds a great importance and has a great impact on my heart and mind. "I have made a covenant with my chosen."  Let me say the initial meaning of this chosen one is none other than Jesus Christ. He is the chosen One to be the Messiah, the Saviour of His people. He is the One Who before the foundation of the world, entered into the covenant with the Father and the Holy Spirit. The three of them covenanted (promised) to have a people unto themselves. The Father chose, the Son redeemed, and the Holy Spirit regenerates or gives the new birth. "I have made a covenant with my chosen." Nothing shall prevent that covenant from being carried out.

Jesus is our chosen Redeemer. We did not choose Him to be that Redeemer. That decision was made in eternity past and shall be secured in eternity future. The Father says, I have made a covenant. Thy seed "will I establish for ever."  These people in verse 4 are all those who were given to the Son by covenant and are the redeemed of God. Jesus confirmed His part of that covenant. Read these words very carefully and rejoice in them.  "All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.  (38 )  For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.  (39)  And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day." (John 6:37-39)

As I said, I do not consciously think about this covenant (promise) of God on every single day, but it is so very precious to me on days such as today. It is important for me to have the blessed assurance that Jesus paid the entire debt for sins. It is absolutely important to know that heaven is secured, not because of any choice that you or I made; rather the Father made a covenant choice of you and me and has established all His children by the blood of Jesus Christ. When time is drawing near, it is most important that the built up throne of my Lord is strong enough to hold me in that covenant of grace. 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51