Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 90:1-2

Psalm 90:1-2   "Lord, thou hast been our dwelling place in all generations.  (2)  Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God."

"Thou art God."  As I begin this sentence, my heart tells me that my mind cannot begin to comprehend the vastness of this subject.  God is...   When did God begin?  How many times have we heard that question? How did you answer it?  The usual answer is, "God has always been." That's true, isn't it?  But can our small minds really comprehend just how vast our God truly is?  We can say with Moses, "Lord, you've always been there for us." (thou hast been our dwelling place in all generations.)  I can look back on my life, uneven as it has been, and say, "I do not remember a time when I didn't believe in God and love Him."  Maybe there were times when I didn't love him as I should have, but I cannot remember a time when I didn't love Him.

The key word in my sentence is "time". I cannot remember a TIME when I didn't love Him. But I cannot fully fathom the depth when I think about the existence of God, "from everlasting to everlasting."  You see, the first thing God created in Genesis 1:1 was "TIME".  "In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth."  God created "the beginning" before He brought forth LIGHT.  There was a time when, in my experience, God became my dwelling place. But there was never a moment, even before time, when God did not hold me (and you) in His heart.

If you can determine when God began, then you can determine when God began loving you. Because of our inability to fathom, I have to use earthly terms to say, "There was never a time when God did not love you."  From everlasting to everlasting, He is God. "... God is love. (9)  In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. (10)  Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins." (1 John 4:8-10) God did not begin loving us when He sent His Son to satisfy the sentence of death that was against us; rather, that is when He "manifested" His love toward us. God is always God, from everlasting (past) to everlasting (future). God is always love, from everlasting (past) to everlasting (future).

God openly expressed His love toward us as His Son was nailed to a cross on Calvary's Hill some 2000 years ago. If He loves us enough to give His Son for us, should we not be comfortable enough to abide in Him as our dwelling place rather than seeking comfort in worldly ways?

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51