Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 90:12

Psalm 90:12    "So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom." 

I am made to allow my mind to go back to many days through my life as I sit in this dark, quiet room this morning. Just a week or two ago, Judy said she loved to hear me typing my devotions in the morning. Now I sit and pray she can hear the clicking of the keys on my laptop. Teach us to number our days, O Lord.

We tend to take so much for granted in life, don't we?  I look back on my life and think how I have been so guilty of this. I never thought of a day such as this as I sit here and hear the hard but shallow breathing. I know she would get on to me if she knew I was writing about her. She has never wanted to be the center of attention.

There were days when I would be off doing whatever I felt I was supposed to be doing in the ministry. Hopefully some of it was good. Maybe some of it was too self-centered. The entire time, she plodded along raising the children and often working outside the home so we would be able to pay taxes and insurance. That was always her saying, "I'm paying his taxes and insurance."  Then I would be off to another meeting of some sort. Yes, they were good and hopefully I have learned some things through the years, but as I sit here this morning I keep hearing, Lord, "teach us to number our days."  The other day I spoke of the two dates on tombstones: the date of birth and date of death. Then I mentioned the "dash". Psalm 90:12 speaks to us of the dash.

"So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom."  When we were young, we felt like we had the world by the horns. We felt invincible. We never gave a thought to the second date on the tombstone. All too often, the problem is that sometimes we do not give enough thought concerning the "dash" either.  The writer of this Psalm is exhorting us to use the dash to its ultimate purpose. What is our purpose? We are to glorify our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. Some do that out front and seen by many and others are content to simply serve Him behind the scenes. The problem with too many of us (I include myself), is that we do not give proper consideration to applying "our hearts unto wisdom."  

How is this applying our hearts to wisdom accomplished? I will try to be brief in my thoughts on this. First, we spend time in the Word of God each day. We spend time in prayer and conversation with our Lord each day. We seek His direction for our lives. "Lord, what would you have me to be and do today?" Then we put His Word into action in our lives. If I understand it correctly, wisdom is both the accumulation and application of knowledge.

Lord, what would you have me to do today?  Understand this is the day that the Lord has made. Rejoice and be glad in it - for each day is a gift from God. Then understand there is a beginning and an end to our time on this earth; therefore, apply ourselves to seeking wisdom and understanding and application and fulfillment of this day - yes THIS DAY!

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51