Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 91:1-2

Psalm 91:1-2   "He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.  (2)  I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust."

I remember when Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans. The television cameras were rolling when they saw a man who was roaming the streets. He apparently was a homeless man, but had been offered help in escaping the storm. He refused. They asked why he was still on the street when the hurricane was hours away from Striking the city. I can't remember his exact words, but they were something to the order that he wanted to see if he could withstand the storm. I've often wondered what happened to that man. Did he find a secret place to hide from the storm?

You and I face storms of life. Some are physical. Some are emotional. Some are spiritual. Sometimes we are guilty of being like that homeless man and think we are strong enough to face those storms on our own. Can I tell you that none of us are that strong?  But the good news is that we do not have to face them alone. Psalm 90 began with these words, "Lord, thou hast been our dwelling place in all generations." Then we begin Psalm 91 with,"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." These two Palms give us the assurance that we have a dwelling place and if we will abide in that place, there is peace, comfort, and security.  

Our God can be trusted in all matters, if we will not be as that homeless man. Quite honestly, he seemed to have a stubborn streak in him. He refused to enter a sheltered place. As children of God, we have a sheltered place where we can abide under the shadow of the Almighty God. I hope to talk more about that in the next devotion. But for now, think about these things. If you are going through a storm just now, don't be stubborn; rather,  listen to the words of our Blessed Lord and Saviour, as He stretches out His arms to you. "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28)

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51