Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 103:7

Psalm 103:7   "He made known his ways unto Moses, his acts unto the children of Israel."

I love this verse. When I first read it this morning, I thought, "Yes, this is the verse for today!"  But then my eyes roamed down through the next several verses and I realized this was an even more incredible verse.  God opened Himself to Moses. We understand  we cannot see God in His fullness in this flesh; yet, He did reveal Himself to the extent that was possible for Moses to be able to comprehend.

My first thought when I read verse 7 was when the Lord gave Moses a greater insight into His name.  He told Moses, "And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them."  (Exodus 6:3)  He revealed Himself in a more personal way to Moses and to the children of Israel, and to us today. Not only would He reveal His power to them (parting of Red Sea, Manna from heaven, Water from rock, etc), He would show them a personal daily care in providing all their needs in a miraculous manner.

But then as I began to read the next verse, I saw a deeper meaning to Jehovah than just providing our daily needs. Sometimes, we might be guilty of only thinking of Him as the One Who provides all our material and physical blessings, but our relationship with Jehovah goes so much deeper.  Let's look at some of His blessings that flow into our hearts and minds. He is full of mercy. His anger does not last. His chastisement for our sins is tempered with grace and mercy. Our sins truly deserve eternal punishment; yet, His grace has washed our sins away through the blood of His Son, Jesus Christ. His mercy is greater than we could even begin to imagine. He has removed our sins as far as the east is from the west. Why did He not say as far as the north is from the south? There are two places where the north and south meet. But if you start traveling east, you will never at any point begin to travel in a westerly direction. The two never meet. God has cast our sins behind His back, never to be remembered again.  He looks upon us with fatherly pity and compassion. He remembers the frailty of our lives. (Psalm 103:8-14)

I asked myself the question as I read these verses, "When did God allow Moses to see and know His ways?"  It was at a time when Moses was at his emotional low point. He had been upon the Mountain receiving the commandments of God. When he came back to the camp, the people had formed a golden calf and were bowing down to worship it. Moses was angry and he was discouraged. God came down to speak to him as a friend speaks to a friend. God placed Moses in the cleft of the rock, covered his face, and passed before Moses. He allowed Moses to see his hind parts. He was blessed to see some of the attributes of God. You can read this in the book of Exodus, chapter 34.

When we can understand that God remains the same today, we can read with better understanding of God's mercy and grace, "Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.  (2)  Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits." (Psalm 103:1-2)"

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...