Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 107:1-2

 Psalm 107:1-2    "O give thanks unto the LORD, for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.  (2)  Let the redeemed of the LORD say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy"

"God is great! God is good! Let us thank Him for our food. O give thanks unto the LORD, for He is good."  Do you ever stop to think about the goodness of God? Or, are you like me when too often, I take it for granted?  As I began my morning, I sat eating a bowl of instant grits.  In case you haven't realized my mind goes in different directions than a lot of people. So, as I was eating, it dawned on me that many people reading this will say, "ewww grits!"  And at the same time, my southern friends will be saying, "ewww INSTANT!"  I was smiling at that thought when the truth of the matter hit me. I truly am thankful for grits, instant or regular. Apparently, there was a time when people were so hungry that they just added water to some ground up meal, heated it, and gave God thanks that they were not going to starve to death.  I ate grits by choice. They probably ate them out of necessity. For either case, the Lord is good and His mercy endures forever. Aren't you thankful?  I surely am.

If I realize His goodness and His mercy, I am instructed to do something with that knowledge: "Let the redeemed of the Lord say say." We are called upon to be verbal in our gratitude unto the Lord. Every single day of our lives, the Lord shows Himself to be both strong and merciful to us. He shows mercy to the just and the unjust, but the unjust are not the ones called upon to "say so".  You and I, as the redeemed of the Lord, are to be outspoken about our gratitude. For you see, His mercy and grace is so great that, in His love, He sent His only begotten Son of God into this world for the sole purpose of dying as payment for our sins.  He redeemed us!  He came. He paid the price. And in His time, He takes us back home. "O give thanks unto the LORD, for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever."  

I remember my father saying to me on more than one occasion: "Don't forget who you are."  In other words, do not do anything to bring shame upon our family. I am redeemed; therefore, I am to say so.  Not only are my words to confirm my redemption, but my life is also to confirm that I am part of the family of God. May the Lord help me to do better as a spokesman for the family of God. May I be bold in, "saying so."

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51