Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 107:21-25

Psalm 107:21-25    "Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!  (22)  And let them sacrifice the sacrifices of thanksgiving, and declare his works with rejoicing.  (23)  They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters;  (24)  These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep.  (25)  For he commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereof."

Where can we most see the handiwork of God? First, we experience His handiwork in our hearts as He draws us unto Himself. But then, we can see His handiwork in that which we call nature. For those of us in the paths of the storms, today's verses seem to be very fitting. Though we do not understand the reasoning behind every action that our Lord commands, let us be certain that He is in absolute control. Verse 25 tells us, "For he commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind."  He sends the rain and He withholds the rain. Though I do not understand the why's, I do know He is the One Who controls the weather. Those who have served in the navy can attest to the "wonders in the deep". Our father told us that the waves would be so high at times that they would lose sight of the ship that was right beside them. Other times the ocean would be so calm that it looked like a sea of glass.

We read in verse 22, "Declare his works with rejoicing." I cannot say that I was rejoicing this morning while pushing water out of a flooded basement, but that was my deficiency in spirit. There have been many times when we pray for the raindrops to fall. This morning, they are in abundance. Even in the difficulties, we can rejoice that our God is still active and moving among us.

"And let them sacrifice the sacrifices of thanksgiving." In the New Testament, we are told to be thankful IN all things. Notice, Paul did not say, "Be thankful FOR all things." There are situations and circumstances in life for which I cannot say I'm thankful; but, in the midst of the storm, I have strength to be able to do what needs to be done in order to sweep the water out of the basement. I can be thankful that someone, at some time, decided to place storm warnings throughout the county that sounds the alarm when danger is imminent. I can be thankful that the roof over my head is not leaking. And after seeing the devastation in so many areas, I can be thankful that I have a roof over my head. I can be thankful that when tragedies occur, the hearts of men and women are opened to be by the side of those who are hurting. People "come out of the woodwork" in order to lend a helping hand. I thank God for those with that spirit of wanting to help others.

"Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!"

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51