Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 107:8-9

Psalm 107:8-9    "Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!  (9) For he satisfieth the longing soul, and filleth the hungry soul with goodness."

Have you ever felt like something was missing in your life? Have you ever felt an emptiness that you just didn't know how to go about filling?  Have you ever gone into the kitchen at night, wanting something but not knowing what you wanted to eat?  Could it be that the emptiness is not in  your stomach; rather, it's in your heart and mind?  Could it be that the void that I talked about a few days ago is manifesting itself and we just can't figure out at that moment what it takes to fill it?

I'm going to suggest something to myself, and to you if it fits, concerning this state of mind. Actually it isn't me suggesting it, it's the Lord telling us what to do.  Let's turn verses 8 and 9 around and reword it somewhat. I pray I won't be doing damage to the Scripture.  Let's take the scenario that I just described. I realize there is something missing and I am determined to fill it. I begin looking around. Maybe it's in the kitchen. Maybe it's in other areas of this worldly life. But I know I need something. How can I fulfill that part of my life that is hurting and empty?  If I begin praising the Lord at that time, I believe He will begin to satisfy that emptiness. His very presence and love will fill the void that food, nor any other activity offered by the world, cannot satisfy.

As I begin to praise Him, according to verse 14, God will bring me out of that dark place and will break the emotional chains that bind me that try to hold me in that darkness. He is Light. He is Love. His grace is sufficient for my every need. His Word teaches me and constantly reminds me of those very things that bring fulfillment, contentment, and satisfaction.  So how can I satisfy that hunger?  I will find that satisfaction if I will go to God's Word instead of going to the kitchen or whatever thing I attempt to use in filling the void. Use that time to enjoy fellowship with the Lord.

Chain Breaker by Zach Williams
2nd verse

We've all searched for the light of day in the dead of night
We've all found ourselves worn out from the same old fight
We've all run to things we know just ain't right

And there's a better life, There's a better life

If you've got pain, He's a pain taker
If you feel lost, He's a way maker
If you need freedom or saving
He's a prison-shaking Savior
If you've got chains, He's a chain breaker

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51