Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 108:1

Psalm 108:1   "O God, my heart is fixed; I will sing and give praise, even with my glory."

There are three occasions when David makes the statement, "My heart is fixed." If I remember correctly, I went into the different thoughts behind the word, "fixed," back in Psalm 57. But just a quick review: There are three thoughts in my mind concerning the word, fixed.  I suppose my Southern roots will come out in a couple of them. First, David's heart was fixed, in that by God's grace, His heart had been repaired.  Grace is the great restorer of hearts and minds and David experienced that on more than one occasion. Next, and here is my true Southern roots, the word fixed can mean I am prepared to start giving praise. Here in the South, when we are about to begin something, we are fixin' to do it. I'm fixin' to go to the store. The third meaning and the one that I believe is most applicable to this verse (as well as the others in Psalms which use this word) concerns David's heart being in a fixed, or set, position to sing and give praise.

David was saying, "How can I not sing and give praise unto the Lord?"  Singing and praising God was the only response when David stopped to meditate upon his relation with the Lord and God's mercy and goodness that had been placed upon him. As I read this passage, I am made to think upon my own situation and circumstance.  When I truly stop to think upon all the blessings which God has bestowed upon me, there is only one response.  I too must say with David, "My heart is fixed (in a set position) that I will sing unto the Lord and give praise and honor unto Him.  He truly is worthy!  How is it with you?

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51