Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 96:1

Psalm 96:1    "O sing unto the LORD a new song: sing unto the LORD, all the earth."

Sing a new song.  When I sang with the quartet, we would bring out a new song from time to time. For me, it would seem like forever before I would be able to get the words, the notes, and the timing just right. Sometimes, I would even say, "I want to make it my own version." (American Idol style)  That would be the result of one of two reasons: either I just couldn't get it or there were times when I actually felt it in my heart to be better in another way than written. To me, that was a legitimate reason for changing up the timing or rhythm of the song. I tried to sing it as it was in my heart.

God's Word teaches us to sing a new song unto the LORD. How can we do that?  First, when our hearts have been changed or when we are rejoicing in the work of the Lord, we can "sing a new song".  For instance, when I was a boy, there would be one number in the hymn book that I dreaded to be called out. It was a popular song, or so it seemed to me that many people enjoyed singing the song. I couldn't understand why. For you see, when I was a boy they would sing all "fifteen verses" of Amazing Grace. I know there aren't 15 verses, but it sure seemed that way to me. Someone would request that number to be sung and I would cringe. "Oh no! not again!"  After the Lord began to open my heart to the truth of His Amazing Grace, I now love that song. It is a "new song" to my heart because I have experienced that grace in my life.

There will be another time when we sing a "new song". I will use another song title to express my thoughts on this one.
When we all get to Heaven,
What a day of rejoicing that will be!
When we all see Jesus,
We'll sing and shout the victory!

That scene is described in Revelation Chapter five. The Lamb of God is seen as He has unlocked the seals of judgment that were against us. That book which no man could open has been opened by the Lamb of God. We will see Him standing victoriously, "a Lamb as it had been slain." (Revelation 5:6) We see Him by faith now and sing that old song with a new heart. But then, "... they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;  (10)  And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth." (Revelation 5:9-10)

When we seek to exalt our precious Lord and Saviour for the wonderful work of redemption which He has accomplished, even the old songs will become new. One day, in heaven's glory we will sing a song that is absolutely new. We won't have to worry about learning the words, notes, or timing. We shall sing it in perfection as we look upon the face of our Redeemer!

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51