Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 111:10

Psalm 111:10   "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever."

How many times have you, or someone you know, said something like, "Lightning will strike you for saying that, or doing that"?  I've had people tell me that if they walked into a church building, the ceiling would fall in.  I know that is said in jest, but there is a reason that lies deep within when someone makes such a statement.  There is a fear of God that lies within that tells our brains that we will pay the price for any mistake we might make.

Please stay with me on this thought.  There is truth that God chastises and corrects His children. The Word of God even tells us that "it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God." (Hebrews 10:31) There have been times when that healthy fear of God gives us wisdom enough to prevent us from doing something wrong.  Though that "beginning fear" is indeed a healthy thing for us, we should grow and mature to another level of fear.

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom." Yes, that healthy fear of chastisement should be enough to prevent, but the true level of fear is one of honor bestowed upon another.  I remember when I was young, there were things that others were doing that I may have even had a desire to do; but, I abstained because I was afraid that it would disappoint my earthly father. I had a respect for him that I did not want to bring reproach upon him because I did something wrong.  

There is a maturity in the child of God that comes when we can understand the pure love of our Lord. Recently, I used the passage in Romans chapter 8 that assures us nothing will stop God from loving us. We strive to do what's right when we can understand that love. "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.  (19)  We love him, because he first loved us." (1 John 4:18-19) A true understanding of God's love will help us maintain the course that is set before us by His grace, not out of fear of retribution, but out of that honor and respect that we have for our Heavenly Father.

I wish I could say that I have mastered this beautiful teaching. I haven't. But I am so thankful that my Lord chose to love me in spite of my many imperfections.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51