Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 116:6-9

Psalm 116:6-9    "The LORD preserveth the simple: I was brought low, and he helped me.  (7)  Return unto thy rest, O my soul; for the LORD hath dealt bountifully with thee.  (8)  For thou hast delivered my soul from death, mine eyes from tears, and my feet from falling.  (9)  I will walk before the LORD in the land of the living."

As I read today's verses, I have a new perspective on Elijah. Remember after he had confronted the prophets of Baal, the wicked woman Jezebel demanded that his life be taken?  "And when he saw that, he arose, and went for his life." (1 Kings 19:3)  He went into the wilderness "and sat down under a juniper tree: and he requested for himself that he might die; and said, It is enough; now, O LORD, take away my life; for I am not better than my fathers." (1 Kings 19:4)  I'm ashamed to say that I have thought that Elijah was afraid of Jezebel, and there may have been some of that fear in him; but after reading 1 Kings 19:4 again, it seems Elijah was disappointed with himself because of the fact that he allowed the fear to drive him away instead of making a stand and trusting God.

I don't say those things lightly. I'm afraid I have been guilty all too often of experiencing that being "brought low" because of my weakness. But I can truthfully say that through it all, "He helped me." (See Psalm 116:6) And when I can feel the hand of my God reaching down and lifting me up, my soul indeed returns to its rest. God deals bountifully with us every single day of our lives. For me, I know God blesses me much more than I could ever deserve. There are days when it seems He is constantly saying to me, "Look what I have done for you!"  Or there are times when He says, "I am doing this just for you."  What a wonderful blessing it is when our relationship is such that I know without a shadow of doubt that God is on my side and at what times I am afraid, I will trust Him. (See Psalm 56)

The Psalmist had a response for the wonderful grace and mercy of God that had been bestowed upon him.  "I love the LORD, because he hath heard my voice and my supplications.  (2)  Because he hath inclined his ear unto me, therefore will I call upon him as long as I live." (Psalm 116:1-2)   Because of so many other writings of the Psalmist, I believe I can say that this statement is not the only reason He loves the Lord. But from my own experience, that precious love is deepened and the awareness of His love is heightened when we feel the warmth of grace and mercy as He lifts us up.  I would encourage you to finish reading the account of Elijah in 1 Kings chapter 19. The Lord lifted him up in a wonderful way.

Have you ever been lifted up in your spirit by the Holy Spirit of God?  Has He ever spoken words of kindness and encouragement to you?  If so, have you stopped to tell Him that you love Him?

 

The Goodness of God

 

I love You, Lord For Your mercy never fails me All my days, I've been held in Your hands From the moment that I wake up Until I lay my head Oh, I will sing of the goodness of God

 

And all my life You have been faithful And all my life You have been so, so good With every breath that I am able

Oh, I will sing of the goodness of God 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51