Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 119:114, 116

Psalm 119:114    "Thou art my hiding place and my shield: I hope in thy word." 

Psalm 119:116    "Uphold me according to thy word, that I may live: and let me not be ashamed of my hope." 

Do you ever feel overwhelmed by the things that are going on in the world? Does the weight of the struggle ever feel like it is just too much for you? There is a place where we can go to find rest and assurance. In previous Psalms that place has been described as the Rock that is higher than I. It has been described as a place that is found under the wings of God. We know it is a place of comfort and rest. Today's verse speaks of it as a "hiding place and a shield."  We can find protective care when we seek the face of God with a desire for His will in our lives.

How do we go there? At the risk of being repetitive, we go there through prayer and by reading and studying God's Word. But it goes deeper than reading the Bible. "I hope in thy word."  We are to believe the Word of God because it is indeed from the very heart of God.  My hope, my assurance, the sure foundation for my life is found in the Word of God through the power of Jesus Christ.

When I can come to the place of believing what God has said, then I can feel the everlasting arms of God underneath me as He upholds me in those times of despair and discouragement. When my life's thoughts and actions are based upon the trust and assurance of God's Word, I have nothing to be ashamed about.  God's Word works!

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51