Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 119:130-131

Psalm 119:130-131    "The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.  (131)  I opened my mouth, and panted: for I longed for thy commandments."

Paul speaks to the Ephesians, and to us, concerning the whole armour of God. It is so very important that we avail ourselves to this protective covering. We are in a spiritual warfare every single day that we live.  Sometimes we forget who the real enemy is that comes against us.  "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." (Ephesians 6:12) We wrestle "against the rulers of the darkness of this world." The very tool that is used to get us into a bad place in our lives is to lure us into a place of darkness in our spirits.  And the "rulers of darkness" are very good at their trade.  

When Paul lists the various elements of the armour of God, we find everything about the armour is for our defense with the exception of one weapon of offense.  God has given us "the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God." (Ephesians 6:17)  According to our text in Psalm 119, what does the word of God do for us?  "It gives light and it gives understanding."  When we are taken into a place of spiritual darkness, we must depend upon the word of God to be the lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path that brings us out of that dark place.

The Psalmist was in need of that light and understanding at that point in his life as he was writing this Psalm. "I longed for thy commandments (thy word)."  God is faithful and His word is true and right. He leads us into His will where we can find once again relief and understanding. He brings us from darkness to His marvelous light where peace and joy returns once again.  It is for our protection that we use the Sword of the Spirit - the word of God as we go from day to day in this world which is filled with darkness.  I realize I have stressed this almost daily, but I find I need constant reminders of this great need.  Let us be faithful in reading the word of God.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...