Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 119:33-34

Psalm 119:33-34   "Teach me, O LORD, the way of thy statutes; and I shall keep it unto the end.  (34)  Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law; yea, I shall observe it with my whole heart."

As a pastor, I often speak about the importance of reading God's Word. It's very important to spend time reading your Bible every day. The most stated stumbling block by individuals is that they read it, but do not understand what it is saying. As a result, oftentimes the Bible is thought to be outdated or only applied to the people who were living at the time it was written.

I have stated this many times when writing these devotions that the Bible is just as pertinent today as it was when the ink was still wet on the parchment.  The difference between the Bible and other books is found in its Author.  Man's writings can change. Man's opinions can change. But the Author of the Bible is God, the Holy Spirit; therefore, the Word of God never changes because God never changes.  The teaching of the Bible is true and always shall be.

So, what do we do when we cannot understand what the Bible is saying to us? How can we come to a place of peace and contentment about God's Word?  The best way to know what is being said is to go to the source from which it comes. The writer of the Psalms tells us in today's two verses how we can understand what is being said to us when we read the Bible. "Teach me, O LORD... and... Give me understanding."  The best way to read the Bible is prayerfully. When we do that, it will be surprising how much we find that God had us in mind when He inspired men of old to pen His Words.  "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you..." (John 14:26-27)  Jesus said in another place, "Ask, and ye shall receive."  

What's the best way to read the Bible? Start by asking the Lord to reveal to you what He has for you to understand as you begin to read.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51