Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 119:33-34

Psalm 119:33-34   "Teach me, O LORD, the way of thy statutes; and I shall keep it unto the end.  (34)  Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law; yea, I shall observe it with my whole heart."

As a pastor, I often speak about the importance of reading God's Word. It's very important to spend time reading your Bible every day. The most stated stumbling block by individuals is that they read it, but do not understand what it is saying. As a result, oftentimes the Bible is thought to be outdated or only applied to the people who were living at the time it was written.

I have stated this many times when writing these devotions that the Bible is just as pertinent today as it was when the ink was still wet on the parchment.  The difference between the Bible and other books is found in its Author.  Man's writings can change. Man's opinions can change. But the Author of the Bible is God, the Holy Spirit; therefore, the Word of God never changes because God never changes.  The teaching of the Bible is true and always shall be.

So, what do we do when we cannot understand what the Bible is saying to us? How can we come to a place of peace and contentment about God's Word?  The best way to know what is being said is to go to the source from which it comes. The writer of the Psalms tells us in today's two verses how we can understand what is being said to us when we read the Bible. "Teach me, O LORD... and... Give me understanding."  The best way to read the Bible is prayerfully. When we do that, it will be surprising how much we find that God had us in mind when He inspired men of old to pen His Words.  "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you..." (John 14:26-27)  Jesus said in another place, "Ask, and ye shall receive."  

What's the best way to read the Bible? Start by asking the Lord to reveal to you what He has for you to understand as you begin to read.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...