Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 119:49-50, 55-56

Psalm 119:49-50   "Remember the word unto thy servant, upon which thou hast caused me to hope.  (50)  This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me."

Psalm 119:55-56    "I have remembered thy name, O LORD, in the night, and have kept thy law.  (56)  This I had, because I kept thy precepts."

I find myself coming back to one central question: How important is the Word of God (the Bible) to me?   Have you ever had a time when you really wanted and needed to hear from someone? Maybe it's been years since you've seen them, or maybe months, weeks, days, or even hours since you heard from them, but there is a need inside you that says, "I want to hear from them and know they are doing okay."  How important is it to you that you hear from that person?

How important is it that you hear from the Lord? Yes, this all ties together.  May I remind each of us this morning that the manner in which God most often communicates to us is through His written Word, the Bible. The Holy Spirit brings to remembrance that which gives us hope, comfort, and assurance. The writer of today's verses expresses that by asking the Lord to "remember the word unto thy servant."  It is through the promises of God that we hope for a better today and brighter tomorrow. When we are afflicted by situations and circumstances, when we feel like we do not know which way to turn, the Word of God gives us comfort and direction for our lives.

Have you ever had a night where you tossed and turned? Maybe you were concerned about something or maybe you don't even know why you cannot sleep. But for whatever reason, sleep escapes you. I included verses 55 and 56 today because they address that situation in light of the importance of God's Word in our lives.  In the night, I remembered thy name, O Lord.  How important is the Word of God in our lives?  The Psalmist said, and my experience is in complete agreement, when I have those sleepless nights, I can call upon the Lord with assurance because His Word tells me that I can seek Him and find Him when my heart is turned to Him. Yes, I have that assurance because God said it's true.

How important is the Word of God in our lives?  It is MOST important for our well-being as we go through this life that is filled with turmoil and confusion. I remind myself this morning that I cannot neglect His Word for me.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...