Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 119:49-50, 55-56

Psalm 119:49-50   "Remember the word unto thy servant, upon which thou hast caused me to hope.  (50)  This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me."

Psalm 119:55-56    "I have remembered thy name, O LORD, in the night, and have kept thy law.  (56)  This I had, because I kept thy precepts."

I find myself coming back to one central question: How important is the Word of God (the Bible) to me?   Have you ever had a time when you really wanted and needed to hear from someone? Maybe it's been years since you've seen them, or maybe months, weeks, days, or even hours since you heard from them, but there is a need inside you that says, "I want to hear from them and know they are doing okay."  How important is it to you that you hear from that person?

How important is it that you hear from the Lord? Yes, this all ties together.  May I remind each of us this morning that the manner in which God most often communicates to us is through His written Word, the Bible. The Holy Spirit brings to remembrance that which gives us hope, comfort, and assurance. The writer of today's verses expresses that by asking the Lord to "remember the word unto thy servant."  It is through the promises of God that we hope for a better today and brighter tomorrow. When we are afflicted by situations and circumstances, when we feel like we do not know which way to turn, the Word of God gives us comfort and direction for our lives.

Have you ever had a night where you tossed and turned? Maybe you were concerned about something or maybe you don't even know why you cannot sleep. But for whatever reason, sleep escapes you. I included verses 55 and 56 today because they address that situation in light of the importance of God's Word in our lives.  In the night, I remembered thy name, O Lord.  How important is the Word of God in our lives?  The Psalmist said, and my experience is in complete agreement, when I have those sleepless nights, I can call upon the Lord with assurance because His Word tells me that I can seek Him and find Him when my heart is turned to Him. Yes, I have that assurance because God said it's true.

How important is the Word of God in our lives?  It is MOST important for our well-being as we go through this life that is filled with turmoil and confusion. I remind myself this morning that I cannot neglect His Word for me.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51