Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 122:1

Psalm 122:1   "I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD."

What makes you glad in this life?  I think we could all make a list of things that make us happy and people who make us happy and glad to be in their presence.  It's a wonderful thing to have enjoyment in our days.  In fact, it's very draining on us when there is no joy. Without joy, we become dry and unfruitful in all our ways.  In the days of Nehemiah after the people had completed the rebuilding of the wall around Jerusalem, they gathered together to worship and rejoice in the Lord.  As the law was read before them, the people began to weep. Nehemiah stood and reminded them, "the joy of the LORD is your strength."

This brings us to our Psalm verse this morning. "I was glad."  What made you glad, David?  I was "glad when they said...."  So you were in the company of people with whom you had something in common?  Yes!  They made me glad by saying something to me. What did they say, David? "Let us go into the house of the Lord."  You mean, going to Church made you glad, David?  Oh Yes!  There is something about being in the house of God that you cannot find anywhere else. There is fellowship with God's people. There is escape from the rigours of everyday life. There is peace in being reminded about the unconditional grace of God. There is power in being in the presence of our Lord. There is joy!  What does that joy do for you, David?  The joy of the Lord is MY strength.

After spending time worshiping and praising my Lord, I am better equipped and prepared to face the struggles of life. After being in God's House in the company of others with faith in Jesus Christ, I am reminded this world is not all bad. The good news of Jesus Christ more than offsets the distorted reporting of those who want to give me their opinion of this world.  My perspective of life is much clearer and my expectation is replaced upon the only One Who can truly make a difference. His name is Jesus.

This morning, I am reminded of the great joy of being in God's House.  How is it with you? Is there gladness as the time approaches to go to church?  I pray so.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51