Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 130:3-4

Psalm 130:3-4    "If thou, LORD, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand?  (4)  But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared."

Sometimes, it is much easier to see the wrong in others than it is to see it in ourselves.  I can much more easily spot the errors of others than I can look at myself and see the wrong. But when I stop to look in the mirror, I realize how imperfect I am. And then today's verse tells me that the Lord looks even deeper than I see myself.  "If thou, LORD, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand?"  If the Lord tallied all my sins and held them against me, I would not have the strength or intestinal fortitude to dare try to stand and be the judge of the hearts of another.  Let me take a side note here to say that the Word of God is the standard by which we know what is right and what is wrong. But I cannot judge anyone else's heart. God does. And if He marked my iniquities against me, I could not stand before Him in any capacity.

"But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared."  I'm so thankful for verse four, aren't you?  "There is forgiveness with God." Let's take a moment to think about the cost of forgiveness.  Verse four is a definite truth, but does God simply look at us, wink, and say, "Well they can't help themselves. They're only human."  Isn't that the excuse that we hear very often and sometimes it is the excuse that comes out of our own mouths.  But God does not accept that as a proper excuse for our sins and iniquities. What about when we say, "I'll never do that again"?  Or what if we say, "I will do a lot of good deeds to make up for that wrong">  Does God accept our penance as being the basis of forgiveness?  No, He doesn't; yet, "there is forgiveness with God".

Let's look to God's Word to see the basis of His forgiveness toward us. "To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.  (7)  In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;." (Ephesians 1:6-7)  These two verses are a part of an extra long sentence written by the Apostle Paul. But I want us to see and understand the basis of all forgiveness that is found in the Lord.  God has "made us accepted in the beloved." The beloved is none other than the Lord Jesus Christ. We have redemption through the shed blood of Jesus. And, we have forgiveness of sins through the shed blood of Jesus Christ. He has made us accepted through the work of Christ and it's all by His amazing grace. There is no other basis for redemption nor for forgiveness. Thank God for His Amazing Saving Grace!

I love that old hymn, Nothing But the Blood of Jesus by Robert Lowry:
What can wash away my sin?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Refrain:
O precious is the flow
that makes me white as snow;
no other fount I know;
nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51