Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 134:3

Psalm 134:3    "The LORD that made heaven and earth bless thee out of Zion."

How big is your God?  Do I have your attention now?  Have you ever given thought to the greatness of our God?  I know we learned the little prayer from childhood, "God is great. God is good."  But do we understand how great is our God and how vast is His goodness?  I'll be honest with you, I really do not know the degree of greatness or goodness that is extended from our Heavenly Father.  You might ask why would I say such a thing?  The answer is simple, I've never even been to the edge of the universe and our God is even greater than that.  He is so large that He inhabits all the universe and beyond and yet, He is so great that He makes His abode within our hearts.

One thing that I do know is that my God "made heaven and earth."  And He declared it to be good at the moment of creation. That means it didn't have to get better in order for us to enjoy it today. It didn't grow in value or completion. God made all things good. He made them in an orderly fashion. He maintains and sustains all that is in the universe from the tiniest particle of an atom to the center of our solar system, the sun itself. God is so great and wonderful and to understand this grand truth gives me the assurance that all things are possible with God.  There is nothing outside His ability, other than telling a lie. God cannot lie. That gives me peace to know He Who created and ordered this universe also orders my steps.  "The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way." (Psalm 37:23)  He declares the end from the beginning. See Isaiah 46:9-10.

How big is our God?  I believe He is so big and so good that He blesses us out of Zion. That is to say, God is constantly working all things together for our good even when we cannot see Him at work.  Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above and there is no changing with God. He remains constant and Holy. I believe God works in our lives in ways we cannot imagine. I believe God positions us to the very place where He has blessings in store for us. We cannot begin to understand all the workings of God and yet, He does it for our good. I believe God is so big that He begins preparing us even years before the blessing is poured out. I believe He works all throughout our lives even as He did with Joseph in bringing him to the place of favor.  How big is your God?

My God is so big and wonderful that He gave His only begotten Son to die in my place. Jesus absolutely knew no sin; yet, He allowed Himself to be nailed to that rugged cross on Calvary's Hill that my sin and your sin would be washed away by the shed blood of our Lord. He is so big that He gave the perfect gift of redemption. He is so wonderful that He gives us good gifts each day. If we cannot see Him as the wonderful God of creation, we just might miss the realization of those everyday blessings that He graciously gives to us. Yes, "the LORD that made heaven and earth bless thee out of Zion."

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51