Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 139:23-24

Psalm 139:23-24    "Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:  (24)  And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."

Have you ever hidden something so well that you could not even find it? It's kind of embarrassing, especially when you go buy another one only for the original to show up later. And it was right where you had placed it to begin with.

Isn't that true of our minds sometimes? Our brains are constantly processing information that is being bombarded into it. Some things, we tell ourselves to store that away because we will need that information at a later time. Other things, we tell ourselves to let that slide right on through because it is useless information.  Some things we tend to think we have dealt with and it is no longer important to us; yet, in reality it is hidden away inside our minds. Though we may not think about it on a daily basis, there are times when it comes to the surface again.

In this 139th Psalm, David has been bringing wonderful things concerning God back into his memory.  As he concludes this Psalm, it is apparent that he also has dredged up some memories concerning himself that maybe even had been forgotten until that moment. There are times for each one to recognize there is that within us which drags us down and robs us of the blessings that God has in store for us in the present time. David was praying for the Lord to help him in such a deep manner that God would go into the deepest recesses of his mind to do some "Spring cleaning".

The Booth Brothers sing a song called, "Secret Place" which speaks of the Lord going into that place in the heart where hidden thoughts are stored away. David is asking the Lord, "Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts."  But the prayer does not stop at that point, he continues to ask the Lord to clean it up. Go into that place in my heart where I don't even like to go, but Lord would you please go there "And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."  As we surrender that place unto the Lord and His cleansing, there is sweet joy and peace to be experienced as we walk hand in hand with Jesus.  It's scary, but so very worth it!

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51