Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 140:6-7

Psalm 140:6-7    "I said unto the LORD, Thou art my God: hear the voice of my supplications, O LORD.  (7)  O GOD the Lord, the strength of my salvation, thou hast covered my head in the day of battle."

Who is your greatest enemy?  The first five verses of this Psalm speak concerning an enemy from which the Psalmist was seeking to be delivered. Whoever, or whatever, it was, this enemy struck some degree of fear into the mind of the writer. "Deliver me, O Lord. They are continually gathered together for war.  They have sharpened their tongues. Keep me, O LORD.... (they) have purposed to overthrow my goings." Again, I ask, "Who is your greatest enemy?"  What is it that gathers itself to do battle with sharpened words that we hear constantly in our ears (minds)?  From what do you find yourself asking God to deliver and keep you?

I find, for myself, that my greatest enemy is my own mind. My greatest battles that I have to fight are against my own thoughts and imaginations. And believe me, those thoughts can have a crippling effect on my "goings" or daily actions.  If I allow myself to listen to those negative words and thoughts that are constantly bombarding, then I would never accomplish anything and I would never experience any of the joy that God has in store. Jesus told us that it is the Father's good pleasure to give us the kingdom of heaven. That is to say, it gives our Heavenly Father great pleasure for us to enjoy the wonderful things in life that He has in store for us. But there is one who is walking about, seeking to destroy every ounce of joy in our lives.

How do we combat that one, the devil, who is trying his best to destroy us?  The answer is found in our two verses for today. First, we must remember that we serve the ONLY true and living God. He is "my God".  He does hear our cries for help. He is the strength of my salvation and He has covered my head in the day of battle. In Ephesians chapter 6, Paul speaks of the whole armour of God. One very important part of that armour is the "helmet of salvation." Paul says, "take the helmet of salvation ... Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit"  The writer of the Psalms gave us the perfect answer to the daily battle that we all must fight.  Declare that the Lord is your God and seek His strength to fight those battles which try to freeze us from enjoying the fullness of God's blessings. Put on that helmet of salvation that is a constant reminder of God's love and His kingdom blessings which He loves to bestow upon us each day.  You and I are children of the Most High God.  Let us submit to Him to experience His pure joy.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51