Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 141:3

Psalm 141:3    "Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips."

In this particular Psalm, the writer is concerned about his thoughts, words, and actions becoming like those of the world. Isn't that a real danger still for us today? Jesus taught us that, a little leaven will affect the whole lump.  In other words, we are affected either positively or negatively by those in which we surround ourselves.  If we hang with people who drink and cuss, then more than likely we will be tempted to take a drink and say those words that are not honoring unto the Lord.  Oh, we want to think we will influence them, but it rarely works that way.

The Psalmist knew the danger was real, so he prayed fervently that he would not be affected by the people that were not diligent in their actions. "Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips."  He was asking the Lord to place a guard over his words. This was not the first time he had made this request. Let's look back at Psalm 19:14,  "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer."  A proper guard, or watchfulness, for our words begins with our thoughts. This is why in Psalm 19, he includes the meditations of his heart.  Let my thoughts be proper so that my words may follow.

But then in our text, he goes a step farther. If I may word it in my own way, he was saying, "Lord, if my thoughts aren't correct, then please keep the door of my lips closed." Don't let me say it if my thought process has been incorrect. It is not a coincidence that there are two gates in front of our tongue. The lips and the teeth both are in front of the tongue to help us keep quiet when our thoughts are not proper.  But sometimes those gates fail to function properly and I then open my mouth and insert foot by speaking when I should have been listening. So the proper prevention comes by seeking the help of the Lord that my thoughts and my words are guarded by His grace and mercy. Paul would say it in this manner, "Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man." (Colossians 4:6)  

We seek grace and mercy from our Lord; therefore, let us extend the same to others. 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51