Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 143:4-6

Psalm 143:4-6    "Therefore is my spirit overwhelmed within me; my heart within me is desolate.  (5)  I remember the days of old; I meditate on all thy works; I muse on the work of thy hands.  (6)  I stretch forth my hands unto thee: my soul thirsteth after thee, as a thirsty land. Selah."

I am all too capable of identifying myself with the Psalmist when he speaks of being overwhelmed, dry and desolate in his spirit, and being thirsty for God.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I know human nature, itself, causes us to enter into seasons when our very spirits become dry and longing for fulfillment. You would hope that at that time, Satan would back off and leave us alone. Be assured, we must always be on guard for at our weakest moments, Satan sends his largest attacks. He has no pity nor mercy on anyone. The Psalmist begins this particular Psalm with the acknowledgement that the enemy is in hot pursuit of him.  He may have been talking about King Saul trying to kill him. Or, he may have been talking about Satan trying to destroy him with fiery darts that were constantly being hurled.  Whichever the instance, David was hurting on the inside. He was needing relief.  Have you ever been there in your spirit?

As we read this Psalm (and we hope to look further at it on Monday), we can see David had not forgotten the source of all mercy, pity, love, and compassion. "I remember the days of old; I meditate on all thy works; I muse on the work of thy hands."  There are times in our lives when we need to stop and remember times when the Lord intervened on our behalf. There are many things in the past which need to be left behind, but there are times when you would have been devoured if God had not been on your side. Why is it necessary to recall those times? For one thing, it boosts our faith to know God is able to deliver those who seek His face and turn back to Him. It is important to be specific in remembering those times. Remember how God worked in your life for your good.

When we can focus our attention upon the grace, mercy, and power of our Lord, we begin to remember where our help comes from. To use David's words,  "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth." (Psalm 121:1-2)  As we remember the goodness of God, our focus is switched from our situation to God's provision.  The hard times, though difficult to endure, will lead us to the very source of contentment and relief.  "My help comes from the Lord, the Living Water that soothes, refreshes, and renews.  Jesus stands with open arms, "Come unto me all ye who labour and are heavy laden. I will give you rest."

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51