Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 145:1-3

Psalm 145:1-3   "I will extol thee, my God, O king; and I will bless thy name for ever and ever. (2)  Every day will I bless thee; and I will praise thy name for ever and ever. (3)  Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable."

This particular Psalm is titled, "David's Psalm of Praise."  It is very evident as we go through this Psalm that David is in a state of great joy and rejoicing in the goodness of God. There must have been some great victory that had been experienced by David. But then, I ask myself this question: Do I require a great victory in my life before I begin to praise God? How about you?  Is God only worthy of my praise when I get what I want in life?  Be certain that He is worthy and He does give us great blessings that are more than can be numbered.  One of the themes we have seen repeated throughout the Psalms is that God never changes. So, if He is worthy of my praise in the daytime, then He also is worthy of my praise in the night time.

Notice the first two words of this Psalm, "I will". Those two words are used four times in the first two verses.  They are statements of intent and purpose. "I will extol (exalt) you, my God. I will bless thy name for ever and ever. Every day will I bless thee... and... (every day) I will praise thy name for ever and ever."  David was very adamant in his intentions of worship and praise unto the Lord. In the first paragraph, I said there must have been some great victory, but we really don't know that. It is not stated in this Psalm as to the reason in David's life that he was filled with praise.

Though the reason is not mentioned concerning David's circumstances, we are given the reason for such high honor and praise coming from his heart. What is the reason for David's praise? And what should be the reason for our praise unto the Lord?  We find it in verse 3, "Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable."  Again I ask, what should be the reason for our praise? "Great  is the LORD!"  I placed the exclamation mark after that sentence because I know in my life that God is showing Himself to be so great and marvelous. How could I not praise Him?  His love and grace is beyond anything we could even imagine; yet, in His mercy He has blessed us with relationship to the Almighty God. He is our Heavenly Father. He loves us.  "Praise Him, praise Him, all ye little children, God is love, God is love"  (Author unknown) 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51