Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Philippians 1:27-28

Philippians 1:27-28    "Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;  (28)  And in nothing terrified by your adversaries: which is to them an evident token of perdition, but to you of salvation, and that of God."

When Paul wrote, Strive together "for the faith of the gospel," he was writing from a heart that is settled upon "the faith of the gospel."  Do I have "the faith of the gospel"? Do you have the faith of the gospel? What does that mean?  I say that I believe the Word of God and it gives me peace and comfort, but do my actions agree with my words?  Do I strive to live according to the faith of the Gospel?

Paul would write to the Thessalonians, "For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which EFFECTUALLY WORKETH also in you that believe." (1 Thessalonians 2:13)   How does this dovetail into the words written to the Philippians?  The Word of God is a spiritual message to a spiritual people, but we still have to contend with all the characteristics of the flesh (carnal mind) that lean toward the natural instead of the Spiritual.  

You might ask, "Steve, what are you talking about?"  The natural mind can only understand the spiritual message as the Holy Spirit reveals the grand truths of God's Word. In Paul's situation, he was saying do not let doubt and fear cloud your spiritual mind as you look at situations and circumstances. But I say, "That is easier said than done because my eyes see and my mind perceives the visible things that are around me."  Therefore, I must depend upon the Holy Spirit to enlighten and empower me to be able to look beyond the natural to embrace that which is only seen by faith. If God tells me that He will never leave me nor turn His back upon me, then my spiritual mind of Christ must be used in order to look beyond what my eyes see and to know (exercise faith) the Word of God is true even when my natural mind doubts and has fear. Strive for the "faith of the Gospel" because it is the "word of God which effectually works in me when I believe."  Receive it. Believe it. Live it.  It's the only path to peace of heart and mind. 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51