Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Philippians 2:12-13

Philippians 2:12-13    "Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.  (13)  For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure."

It might be tempting to take these two verses out of context as we look at them.  But to avoid that, let's think back on where Paul is writing from and what he has been saying. Just a very quick review tells us that Paul expressed confidence in the power and purpose of the Lord in everything that happens in his life. He has confidence that the Lord will complete that which He begins. He spoke of living in the faith of the Gospel and using the mind of Christ as we go through this life. He encouraged humility with boldness in Christ by treating others  as you would want to be treated. He wrote concerning the life of Christ as a servant and the manner in which the Father exalted the Son. These things are an exhortation for us to live a life of victory in Jesus Christ.

Now, he is speaking to us in such a manner as to say, "You have these things in you by way of the Holy Spirit, now work them out in an outward, visible manner."  Live what you believe. Exercise your faith in Christ, as it is expressed in the Gospel, by the manner in which you live. God has worked it into you, now you are to work it out by living the life of a Christian.  It is one thing to say, "I am a Christian."  It is quite a different thing to live in a manner that backs up what I say.  If my actions are contrary to my words, I will quickly negate everything I say. Many testimonies have been destroyed by living a life that is contrary.

May the way I live my life show evidence that my testimony of love for God is true.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51