Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Philippians 3:10-12

Philippians 3:10-12    "That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;  (11)  If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.  (12)  Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus."

May I say this morning that it is easy to praise God when everything is going well in our lives. It is easy to sing "O How I Love Jesus" when the skies are blue and the sun is shining brightly upon us. But what about when we are in the valley of discouragement? How is it when life is not going so easy for us? Are we still as quick to praise Him and share the good news of our precious Lord when the weight of the world is heavy upon us?

Paul was sharing his heart and mind with us in this book of Philippians.  He knew his purpose in Christ was to share the Gospel of God's amazing grace through the shed blood of Jesus Christ. He knew that was his goal in life even when he was in a dark and damp prison cell. His purpose was not changed according to his circumstances. In fact, Paul used those hard times in life to grow closer to the Lord. We cannot even begin to imagine the things Paul went through, but during those times, his desire was to know Jesus in a more closer and intimate manner. He opens up to us in these verses to say, "I want to know Him. I want to know the power that raised Jesus from the dead." He had written about it in the book of Romans: "But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you." (Romans 8:11)  He understood that the very same Spirit was inside him and that power was what sustained him during the tough times.

But he also admitted that he had not attained (arrived at) that place where full consolation was within him. In other words, Paul tells us in verse 12, "I'm not perfect and I still struggle, but I'm following after that goal and purpose that I may accomplish that for which Jesus Christ called me to do."  As I write this, I realize I am far from being at the place where I want to be. I am far from being what God has called me to be as an individual in His glorious kingdom here on earth. I pray I am not what I used to be. I'm not what I hope to be, but I can agree with the Apostle Paul by saying, "By the grace of God, I am what I am." (1 Corinthians 15:10)  May each day find us following after the calling which is upon us to share the good news of salvation through Jesus Christ, our Lord. 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...