Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Philippians 3:7-8

Philippians 3:7-8    "But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. (8)  Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ"

In sports, the win/loss record is very important. Coaches lose their jobs if they consistently lose more than they win. Starting players are benched if they do not perform well enough to contribute to the team's winning record. Even at the amateur level, wins are very important. 

The win/loss record was also very important to the Apostle Paul. No, he wasn't on a baseball team or any other sports team, but he did use those types analogies.  In today's verses, you will see those two words used by him. But his use of the words was concerning his daily walk with Christ.

If I draw attention to myself and my "victories", then I take away from giving glory to Christ. He counted that as a "loss" in his life. Remember what Paul stated in chapter one as to his purpose in life: "For to me to live is Christ." If he, or any of us, seek to glorify ourselves, we are losing that sense of understanding just how great our Lord truly is.

Knowledge and experience is won (gained) when Paul, and any of us, give glory to Jesus Christ for any and all goodness within us. Our attention and focus is correct when we are giving all honor to Christ. Not only do we "win" on that situation, but we also are better prepared in the next "test" in which we find ourselves. 

Let us give honor and glory to the One that it rightfully belongs. All glory and praise belongs unto the Lord. 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51