Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Nehemiah 2:2-4

Nehemiah 2:2-4    "Wherefore the king said unto me, Why is thy countenance sad, seeing thou art not sick? this is nothing else but sorrow of heart. Then I was very sore afraid,  (3)  And said unto the king, Let the king live for ever: why should not my countenance be sad, when the city, the place of my fathers' sepulchres, lieth waste, and the gates thereof are consumed with fire?  (4)  Then the king said unto me, For what dost thou make request? So I prayed to the God of heaven."

In the first two verses, we saw the Lord working with the king to the point that he was concerned about the state of heart of his cupbearer. We saw this was a very unusual thing to occur. There can be no other reason for it to happen than the fact God was moving the heart and mind of the king to show compassion. We can assume Nehemiah was a faithful servant to the king; yet, the fact remains he was a servant and very expendable. "Why are you so sad?"  Nehemiah's response to the king is a very important point for us to think upon. God had opened the door. Nehemiah now had the opportunity to tell the king what was deeply troubling him. Would he just blurt out the answer to the king's question? Or, would he carefully word his response in order to get on the good side of the king?  

The key to the proper answer from Nehemiah is found in the last sentence of today's verses. "So I prayed to the God of heaven."  Nehemiah realized his answer to the king's question would be key to being able to go back to Jerusalem. I say that and realize from God's standpoint, the way was already opened for the wall to be rebuilt around Jerusalem. But from the human standpoint, it is very important to give a proper response with a proper tone of voice.  Have you ever said something that immediately you wished you had said it differently or used a different tone of voice?  I think we probably all have been guilty of this at some time or other.  God gave Nehemiah the wisdom to understand that he needed the help of the Lord even in giving his answer.

I am learning (yes it is still a process of life) - I am learning that I need the Lord in every area of my life. I need Him in order to make proper decisions. I need Him in order to be able to do the things that I know I should do. I need Him to give the correct response to questions that are asked. I need Him in order to conduct proper conversations. Simply put, I need to constantly stop and pray to God in heaven for the wisdom of the moment. How about you?

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...