Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Nehemiah 2:5

Nehemiah 2:5    "And I said unto the king, If it please the king, and if thy servant have found favour in thy sight, that thou wouldest send me unto Judah, unto the city of my fathers' sepulchres, that I may build it."

Yesterday, we saw Nehemiah stopping to seek the wisdom of God before answering the king.  I sometimes have to stop and ask myself if I truly understand even a small portion of the power of the Almighty to whom I pray.  I believe Paul had that same thought concerning God's ability and willingness to reach down and help each one of us. This he wrote in the book of Ephesians, "Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,  (21)  Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen." (Ephesians 3:20-21)  I feel certain that Nehemiah did not understand the depth of God's love and grace when he stopped to ask the Lord to give him the right words to speak.

God is "able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think."  Not only did God give Nehemiah the right words to say, He also gave a heart of willingness to the king. We see in the next verses that the king only asked, "For how long shall thy journey be? and when wilt thou return? So it pleased the king to send me; and I set him a time." (Nehemiah 2:6)  But remember God is "able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think."  God then moved Nehemiah to ask the king for letters to the governors in order that his journey would not be hindered. The king agreed, but then "exceeding abundantly above" that, the king said he would provide the timber that was necessary to rebuild.

"And the king granted me, according to the good hand of my God upon me." (Nehemiah 2:8)  As we proceed through the book of Nehemiah, we will see the hand of God upon the entire project both in the amount of people who would do the work and the short amount of time that it took to complete the work. God is so good in all His ways. He hasn't changed now. It is a good thing for each of us to take the approach that, with God, all things are possible and He will provide all our needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. (Remember Paul saying that in Philippians 4:19?)

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...