Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Nehemiah 2:5

Nehemiah 2:5    "And I said unto the king, If it please the king, and if thy servant have found favour in thy sight, that thou wouldest send me unto Judah, unto the city of my fathers' sepulchres, that I may build it."

Yesterday, we saw Nehemiah stopping to seek the wisdom of God before answering the king.  I sometimes have to stop and ask myself if I truly understand even a small portion of the power of the Almighty to whom I pray.  I believe Paul had that same thought concerning God's ability and willingness to reach down and help each one of us. This he wrote in the book of Ephesians, "Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,  (21)  Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen." (Ephesians 3:20-21)  I feel certain that Nehemiah did not understand the depth of God's love and grace when he stopped to ask the Lord to give him the right words to speak.

God is "able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think."  Not only did God give Nehemiah the right words to say, He also gave a heart of willingness to the king. We see in the next verses that the king only asked, "For how long shall thy journey be? and when wilt thou return? So it pleased the king to send me; and I set him a time." (Nehemiah 2:6)  But remember God is "able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think."  God then moved Nehemiah to ask the king for letters to the governors in order that his journey would not be hindered. The king agreed, but then "exceeding abundantly above" that, the king said he would provide the timber that was necessary to rebuild.

"And the king granted me, according to the good hand of my God upon me." (Nehemiah 2:8)  As we proceed through the book of Nehemiah, we will see the hand of God upon the entire project both in the amount of people who would do the work and the short amount of time that it took to complete the work. God is so good in all His ways. He hasn't changed now. It is a good thing for each of us to take the approach that, with God, all things are possible and He will provide all our needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. (Remember Paul saying that in Philippians 4:19?)

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51