Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Philippians 4:5

Philippians 4:5    "Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand."

Paul is still instructing us as to how we are to live our lives as citizens of the kingdom of heaven. Yesterday, we saw that we are to be a people with rejoicing hearts. Yes, no matter what is happening in our lives, we are children of God and can rejoice in His love and grace. Today, we see another aspect that we are to show as children of the KING of all kings.  "Let your moderation be known unto all men."  We are to show patience.  I admit to you this is one that I have not perfected.

We are not born with patience; rather, it is an acquired attribute.  Paul speaks much about patience. Sometimes I get the feeling that he also had to work on patience in his life. Speaking of life in Christ Jesus, Paul wrote in Romans, chapter 5, "By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.  (3)  And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;  (4)  And patience, experience; and experience, hope:  (5)  And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us." (Romans 5:2-5)  

I include these verses of Scripture to show how the Bible speaks to us concerning our acquiring patience. As already mentioned, patience is an acquired attribute. Following Paul's spiritual logice, we see that patience comes as the result of tribulation, or trials in life. I would not ever need patience if everything always goes according to my plans. I learn the art of being patient when I realize I'm not in control and there is nothing I can do to change a situation or circumstance. I must do what I can in that situation and then wait on the Lord to work in assisting me.  Yes, trials work patience which gives us experience. The experience also helps us to be patient in the next trial which brings hope within us to know God "is at hand" and He will see us through each problem.  That hope (blessed assurance) within us helps us to know God's love is always within our hearts.

I love the song, "Through it All" by Andrae Crouch.....
I've had many tears and sorrow
I've had questions for tomorrow
There've been times I didn't know right from wrong
But in every situation
God gave me blessed consolation
That my trials come to only make me strong

Through it all
Through it all
Oh, I've learned to trust in Jesus
I've learned to trust in God

Yes, I've learned to depend upon His Word

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51