Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Genesis 1:1-3

Genesis 1:1-3    "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.  (2)  And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.  (3)  And God said, Let there be light: and there was light."

Some days, I find it difficult to have a beginning point. Today, I surely have that beginning place because we saw it yesterday... "In the beginning God..."  I think it is important to be reminded that God is God without any outside help or assistance. That might sound so elementary and yet it seems the reminder is in order. May I say that God does not need me, nor you, for anything.  Our belonging to the family of God did not increase His value nor ability in any manner.

The opposite side of that picture is that without God, we have no ability whatsoever.  I take the words of Jesus very literally: "... without me ye can do nothing." (John 15:5) We can see a picture of this in the very first part of creation. "The earth was without form, and void."  It is my experience that without God, my life is very empty.  I can look back and see how there was no form, nor order, in my life before God shined into my heart. My life was filled with darkness. I could do nothing.

But then....But then, "The Spirit of God moved..."  Everything about my life that is profitable in the kingdom of God is due to the fact that the Spirit of God first moved in my life. He came to me and replaced emptiness with purpose. He replaced my inability with a zeal and determination to be a light in the world. The Spirit of God came into my life and replaced that cold, stony heart with one that is filled with His love for me and created a love for Him within me. Yes, I owe everything that I am to the blessed grace of our Lord Jesus Christ.  My hope of eternity in the glory of heaven is based upon the work of redemption which was accomplished by Jesus on the cross.  He turned my darkness into light and I praise Him for His loving kindness.  How about you?

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...