Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Nehemiah 13:7-9

Nehemiah 13:7-9    "And I came to Jerusalem, and understood of the evil that Eliashib did for Tobiah, in preparing him a chamber in the courts of the house of God.  (8)  And it grieved me sore: therefore I cast forth all the household stuff of Tobiah out of the chamber.  (9)  Then I commanded, and they cleansed the chambers: and thither brought I again the vessels of the house of God, with the meat offering and the frankincense."

The priest who had the oversight of the chamber of the house of God was allied to Tobiah while Nehemiah had gone back to report to the king all the progress of the work. Remember Tobiah? He was a thorn in the flesh to Nehemiah from the very beginning of the work. He had done everything in his power to discourage and stop the work of rebuilding the wall. Through the power of God, Nehemiah had been able to withstand his deceitfulness. But now, Nehemiah was gone for a while and the enemy worked his way into the inner chamber. Yes, the priest had even made a little room for Tobiah in the innermost part of the temple and allowed him to live there. When Nehemiah came back to Jerusalem, he cast out everything that belonged to the enemy and cleansed it from any little part that could have brought contamination to the worship of God. He then sanctified it by making offerings unto the Lord.

Is there a lesson for us in this situation? I believe so. It seems that the most opportune time for Satan to attack God's people is on Sunday morning as we are preparing to go to church. He loves to be able to distract us by interjecting thoughts into our minds that are contrary to proper worship.  He plants seeds into our thoughts that detract from the true worship of God. He thinks himself to be successful if he can bring a situation to our remembrance that causes anger, jealousy, bitterness, or any other thought that is contrary to God.  You see, all of these things making their abode in the innermost part of our hearts (Tobiah in the chamber of the temple),makes it difficult to present ourselves as worshippers before the Almighty God.

What is the answer for us? Nehemiah felt the proper approach was to cast the negative out of the temple. How can we do that? Let's look at Scripture to find the answer. "Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:  (24)  And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." (Psalm 139:23-24)  The power of the Holy Spirit is that which cleanses us from all unrighteousness and allows us to worship as we should.  "My son, give me thine heart, and let thine eyes observe my ways." (Proverbs 23:26)  Let us present ourselves before the Lord in a manner that asks Him to make us proper subjects of worship and praise.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51