Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Genesis 12:7-9

Genesis 12:7-9    "And the LORD appeared unto Abram, and said, Unto thy seed will I give this land: and there builded he an altar unto the LORD, who appeared unto him.  (8 )  And he removed from thence unto a mountain on the east of Bethel, and pitched his tent, having Bethel on the west, and Hai on the east: and there he builded an altar unto the LORD, and called upon the name of the LORD.  (9)  And Abram journeyed, going on still toward the south."

Worship of the Lord was an integral part of Abram's life.  He continued his journey based upon the promises of God. He was dependent upon the Lord for all his needs.  Worship was so important that he built an altar of worship in every place.  The Lord showed Abram that his seed would inherit this place when he passed through Sichem unto the plain of Moreh. Remember at this time, Abram, who was seventy-five, and Sarah had no children; yet, God promised the land to his seed.  Abram built an altar of worship to acknowledge that God was the strength of his life.  Then they went on to a place between Bethel and Hai and there "he builded an altar unto the Lord."  It was there that Abram again worshipped God and acknowledged his need for fellowship with the Lord. He understood that his need for God's mercy and grace was that which would see him through. "And Abram journeyed, going on still toward the south."

Yes, Abram understood his need for the Lord and for that daily fellowship as he travelled through the land. He understood his need for God as he lived each day and his desire was to walk hand in hand with the Lord.  My thought for today is that Abram reminds me that the Lord is my strength and He is my guide. I need daily interaction and daily communication with my Lord. I can't do anything without Him. He is my all in all.  "The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" (Psalm 27:1)

I'm reminded of the song made popular by Charles Johnson and the Revivers....
O Lord I can't even walk without you holding my hand
the mountains too high and the valleys too wide
down on my knees that's where I learned to stand
O Lord I can't even walk without you holding my hand

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51