Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Genesis 12:7-9

Genesis 12:7-9    "And the LORD appeared unto Abram, and said, Unto thy seed will I give this land: and there builded he an altar unto the LORD, who appeared unto him.  (8 )  And he removed from thence unto a mountain on the east of Bethel, and pitched his tent, having Bethel on the west, and Hai on the east: and there he builded an altar unto the LORD, and called upon the name of the LORD.  (9)  And Abram journeyed, going on still toward the south."

Worship of the Lord was an integral part of Abram's life.  He continued his journey based upon the promises of God. He was dependent upon the Lord for all his needs.  Worship was so important that he built an altar of worship in every place.  The Lord showed Abram that his seed would inherit this place when he passed through Sichem unto the plain of Moreh. Remember at this time, Abram, who was seventy-five, and Sarah had no children; yet, God promised the land to his seed.  Abram built an altar of worship to acknowledge that God was the strength of his life.  Then they went on to a place between Bethel and Hai and there "he builded an altar unto the Lord."  It was there that Abram again worshipped God and acknowledged his need for fellowship with the Lord. He understood that his need for God's mercy and grace was that which would see him through. "And Abram journeyed, going on still toward the south."

Yes, Abram understood his need for the Lord and for that daily fellowship as he travelled through the land. He understood his need for God as he lived each day and his desire was to walk hand in hand with the Lord.  My thought for today is that Abram reminds me that the Lord is my strength and He is my guide. I need daily interaction and daily communication with my Lord. I can't do anything without Him. He is my all in all.  "The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" (Psalm 27:1)

I'm reminded of the song made popular by Charles Johnson and the Revivers....
O Lord I can't even walk without you holding my hand
the mountains too high and the valleys too wide
down on my knees that's where I learned to stand
O Lord I can't even walk without you holding my hand

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...