Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Genesis 15:1-4

Genesis 15:1-4    "After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.  (2)  And Abram said, Lord GOD, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus?  (3)  And Abram said, Behold, to me thou hast given no seed: and, lo, one born in my house is mine heir.  (4)  And, behold, the word of the LORD came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir."

It is in this passage that we can see the application of a New Testament verse.
(Romans 4:19-21)    "And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sara's womb:  (20)  He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;  (21)  And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform."

I don't want to get into too many thoughts concerning these verses, though several things can be seen. I want us to take Abraham's example into our own hearts and minds. Abraham was speaking of things which he did not have when God reminded him of that which he did possess.  The conversation was something like this:

 Abraham: You promised this land to my children and their children. But I don't have any children.

God:  You have no children at this time, but YOU DO HAVE ME. And I will give you children just as I said that I would.

Though Abraham had times when he took matters into his own hands, ultimately, he believed God and placed his confidence in Him. We find that Abraham called "those things which be not as though they were. Who against hope believed in hope..." (Romans 4:17-18 )  God was teaching Abraham to concentrate on the positive things of life rather than that which he felt was missing.  My question this morning is this: Do I spend too much time worrying about things out of my control rather than giving God the glory for that which He has blessed me to have.  I have everything if Jesus is in my heart.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51