Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Genesis 15:1

Genesis 15:1    "After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward."

The king of Sodom had just offered a great fortune to Abram because of his stand against the enemy. Abram had refused the fortune because his trust had been fully committed unto the Lord.  We aren't sure how much time elapsed between chapter 14 and chapter 15, but if you read between the lines, it almost seems that Abram had been having thoughts about the security that had been offered to him. It is in that moment that the Lord sent His word to Abram. "Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward."

Do you ever need words of assurance in your life? Do you ever have second thoughts about something? Do you ever wonder if you made the right decision? Should I have changed jobs? Should I have turned down that promotion? Did I say the right thing or respond in the correct manner?  You felt that your decision was based upon what you felt was God's will for you, but Satan has a way of casting a shadow of doubt in your path.  It is at those times that we need to have reinforcement in our lives to know we are seeking the will of God in our lives in order to pursue His purpose for us.  If we seek to be in tune with the Holy Spirit within us, God will give those words of comfort and security to us. "Fear not...  I am!"   It isn't a matter of "God was" or "God will be," because He is unchanging. He is always constant. He is our "shield" and HE IS our "exceeding great reward."  There is no greater compensation than to know our God loves us and He is always with us to guide and protect.

I'm thinking of a song whose words were written by Rhea F. Miller....

I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold
I'd rather be His than have riches untold
I'd rather have Jesus than houses or land
I'd rather be led by His nail-pierced hand

Than to be the king of a vast domain
And be held in sin's dread sway
I'd rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...