Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Genesis 15:1

Genesis 15:1    "After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward."

The king of Sodom had just offered a great fortune to Abram because of his stand against the enemy. Abram had refused the fortune because his trust had been fully committed unto the Lord.  We aren't sure how much time elapsed between chapter 14 and chapter 15, but if you read between the lines, it almost seems that Abram had been having thoughts about the security that had been offered to him. It is in that moment that the Lord sent His word to Abram. "Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward."

Do you ever need words of assurance in your life? Do you ever have second thoughts about something? Do you ever wonder if you made the right decision? Should I have changed jobs? Should I have turned down that promotion? Did I say the right thing or respond in the correct manner?  You felt that your decision was based upon what you felt was God's will for you, but Satan has a way of casting a shadow of doubt in your path.  It is at those times that we need to have reinforcement in our lives to know we are seeking the will of God in our lives in order to pursue His purpose for us.  If we seek to be in tune with the Holy Spirit within us, God will give those words of comfort and security to us. "Fear not...  I am!"   It isn't a matter of "God was" or "God will be," because He is unchanging. He is always constant. He is our "shield" and HE IS our "exceeding great reward."  There is no greater compensation than to know our God loves us and He is always with us to guide and protect.

I'm thinking of a song whose words were written by Rhea F. Miller....

I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold
I'd rather be His than have riches untold
I'd rather have Jesus than houses or land
I'd rather be led by His nail-pierced hand

Than to be the king of a vast domain
And be held in sin's dread sway
I'd rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51