Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Genesis 8:20-22

Genesis 8:20-22    "And Noah builded an altar unto the LORD; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.  (21)  And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.  (22)  While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease."

Noah and his family had now been delivered through the flood and off the ark. They were safe. God had provided every need for them. So what was the most important thing for them to do?  "Noah builded an altar unto the Lord."  He took time to give thanks unto God and the Lord received that spirit of gratitude and responded with a promise that remains to this day.

We are two weeks past Thanksgiving and now headed straightway into the Christmas season. As I read today's verses, my heart and mind reflects back on two weeks ago. For me, personally, the past two weeks have been a marvelous time in my life. I look back and I have so much for which to be thankful. My heart is filled with joy and gladness at what the Lord has done in my life. As I look back, I cannot thank Him enough.

Now, headed into the Christmas season, I have much for which to be thankful. We will be celebrating and remembering the most wonderful gift that has ever been given. That gift was not wrapped in bright colorful wrappers; rather He was wrapped in plain swaddling clothes that Mary had brought along with her. But even more than the swaddling clothes, that gift of Christ is wrapped in mercy, grace, and love. As I look ahead, I am thankful for that marvelous gift and it will take all eternity to be able to express that gratitude.

What should be our most important thing to do each and every day? Should it not be to offer sacrifices of praise and thanksgiving unto the Lord upon the altar of our hearts? God has made a promise (covenant) with us that remains to this day and shall be for all eternity. His love never fails and will never be withdrawn from us.  Let us be thankful and rejoice in Him.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51