Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Genesis 8:20-22

Genesis 8:20-22    "And Noah builded an altar unto the LORD; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.  (21)  And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.  (22)  While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease."

Noah and his family had now been delivered through the flood and off the ark. They were safe. God had provided every need for them. So what was the most important thing for them to do?  "Noah builded an altar unto the Lord."  He took time to give thanks unto God and the Lord received that spirit of gratitude and responded with a promise that remains to this day.

We are two weeks past Thanksgiving and now headed straightway into the Christmas season. As I read today's verses, my heart and mind reflects back on two weeks ago. For me, personally, the past two weeks have been a marvelous time in my life. I look back and I have so much for which to be thankful. My heart is filled with joy and gladness at what the Lord has done in my life. As I look back, I cannot thank Him enough.

Now, headed into the Christmas season, I have much for which to be thankful. We will be celebrating and remembering the most wonderful gift that has ever been given. That gift was not wrapped in bright colorful wrappers; rather He was wrapped in plain swaddling clothes that Mary had brought along with her. But even more than the swaddling clothes, that gift of Christ is wrapped in mercy, grace, and love. As I look ahead, I am thankful for that marvelous gift and it will take all eternity to be able to express that gratitude.

What should be our most important thing to do each and every day? Should it not be to offer sacrifices of praise and thanksgiving unto the Lord upon the altar of our hearts? God has made a promise (covenant) with us that remains to this day and shall be for all eternity. His love never fails and will never be withdrawn from us.  Let us be thankful and rejoice in Him.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...