Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Genesis 9:12-15

Genesis 9:12-15    And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: (13) I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth. (14)  And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud (15) And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh.

There is so much to be taken from these verses, but I will try to condense it as much as I can.  I want to say that I'm not willing to give up the rainbow for something that was not intended by God.  The rainbow is the token of God's covenant and we should rejoice every time we see it in the sky. We all can probably admit that a rainbow does spring up within us that causes joy and even somewhat of an exciting feeling within. And so should it be each time we see it.

What is the significance of the rainbow? God promised "the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh." He did not say there would never be floods again, but there will never be another global flood as was in the days of Noah. So when we see the rainbow, we should rejoice in God's faithfulness. "I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh." This is not to say that God could ever forget; rather, He is promising the covenant to always be in force.

There is only one thing that I read in Scripture that God will not remember.  "I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins." (Isaiah 43:25)  This brings us to the second reason for rejoicing when we see the rainbow. Again, it is the token of God's covenant of redemption through the blood of Jesus Christ.  We can rejoice when we see the rainbow because God has promised to always remember the security that is ours through His promise. God is good and He is faithful to keep all of His promises. This includes the precious gift of salvation through the work of His only begotten Son.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51