Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Luke 2:10-11

Luke 2:10-11   "And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.  (11)  For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord."

In these verses, we see the earthly beginning and result of the announcement of our Lord's coming to the earth. Peter would later write concerning the ending result of the work done by our Lord Jesus.  "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,  (4)  To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you." (1 Peter 1:3-4)  As we read these two passages, there are some words that I want us to pay attention to just now.  We see the words, ,"Christ the Lord" in Luke 2 passage and we see "Lord Jesus Christ" in Peter's passage.  So what I am about to write speaks of what He accomplished when He came to the earth. In fact, it was the very reason for His coming to the earth. Jesus came to redeem His people from our sins. He is the Saviour and He is the way to heaven. There is no other way. Jesus did not say He was one of the ways to get to heaven; rather, He most definitely said, "I am THE way, THE truth, and THE life:  no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (John 14:6)

The other word I want us to pay attention to is the word "you".  We read in Luke's passage, "For unto YOU is born this day..."  And then in Peter's passage we read our inheritance is "reserved in heaven for YOU." I find this most remarkable to be able to receive the grand truth that when Jesus was born, He came as MY Saviour. When He hung on the cross, He was there as MY Saviour.  And when He ascended back into heaven, He reserved MY place in heaven.  I will go a step farther. As God, Jesus knew my name in particular and was born for me. As Jesus, the man, He knew my name when He hung on the cross and redeemed me, Steve Taylor, as His very own. You can know the same is true for you as well.  Read with me the words of Isaiah, "But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine." (Isaiah 43:1)  It will be very safe for us to replace the name Israel with our own names.  "O Steve, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee: I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine."  "For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord."

O Come let us adore Him
O Come let us adore Him
O Come let us adore Him
Christ, the Lord.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51