Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Genesis 17:1-2

Genesis 17:1-2    "And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.  (2)  And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly."

Quite honestly, this verse used to bother me.  I read it as if God was saying to Abram, "I will bless you if you don't mess up anymore."  That would be a mighty tall order to fill if that was actually what God was saying to Abram.  Those who have heard me preach regularly know that I love to look up the Biblical meanings of words. There is much to be said about knowing what the word was intended and actually meant in the original language.  

God had made a promise to Abram when he was 75 years old that the land would be given to him and his seed. Abram is now 99 years old. So now, 14 years after the last affirmation, God appears to Abram to assure His promise. " I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.  (2)  And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly."  Now we come to the definition of the word, "perfect".  Was God saying that Abram had to be completely faultless in order for the blessing to come upon him? In the Bible, the word, perfect, means to be mature. Let me use a child as an illustration. Early in life, the favorite saying of a child becomes, "I can do it myself."  Sometimes we allow them to make mistakes in order to realize they actually do need help.  We know our children have matured when they come to us and ask for our help.  God was actually telling Abram to stop trying to do things on his own instead of asking for God's help.  We honor our Heavenly Father when we become perfect (mature) in actions by asking Him for His help and guidance in our lives.  Don't ever think you are bothering God when you ask Him for assistance in life - no matter how large or small.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51