Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Genesis 21:9

Genesis 21:9    "And Sarah saw the son of Hagar the Egyptian, which she had born unto Abraham, mocking."

To set the stage for this verse, let us remember that the son of Hagar, named Ishmael, was also the son of Abraham. Sarah had given her handmaid to Abraham because neither of them thought Sarah would be able to give birth to a son. It is safe to assume that Ishmael was the son of their fleshly thoughts and actions while Isaac was indeed the son of promise given to them by God. This one verse sets the stage for a history of envy, strife, and warfare which still is going on to this very day. The result of fleshly, carnal actions will always be strife and discontentment. The book of James speaks to us of this principle, "From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?" (James 4:1)  It was the impatience and carnal nature that brought about the birth of Ishmael, which resulted in that nature mocking the spiritual.

We have personal battles of this nature within ourselves. We find ourselves in that state of discontentment when we slip into the carnal realm of trying to establish our own actions. Paul spoke of it in the book of Romans chapter 8, "...  the carnal mind is enmity against God...  So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God." (Romans 8:7-8) So much of God's Word is devoted to the warfare that goes on between our minds and our hearts. We want to think we have all the answers or can find the answers for ourselves through human logic. But the truth of the matter is that we have no proper understanding outside of the realm of the Holy Spirit working within us.  Solomon wrote concerning this subject also.  "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  (6)  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." (Proverbs 3:5-6)  I find that I save myself from a lot of problems and struggles when I simply give it to the Lord and wait for Him to give the answer. His promise to us is this: "He shall direct thy paths."

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion (Video): I Will Fear No Evil - Psalm 23:4

Daily Devotion: Knowing God By Bearing Fruit

Some will notice the title is not “Bearing fruit because we know God,” so to avoid getting sidetracked with that, we can start with the fact that we won’t bear any godly fruit unless our heart has been changed and the Holy Spirit dwells within us. Also, to avoid confusion, I’ll be using the terms “bearing fruit,” “good works” and “service” interchangeably.  I took this article’s title from Part 7, of John Piper’s “Look at the Book” session on Colossians 1:9-12. I greatly encourage you to view that short video to get his excellent exposition on this subject.  When I saw the title of the video earlier this year, I got kind of excited because that’s the direction my thinking has gone in the past several years. My thinking was founded Biblically with verses on good works like Matthew 5:16 – “In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father, who is in heaven.” But I couldn’t expand it to expla...