Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Genesis 22:1-2

Genesis 22:1-2    "And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.  (2)  And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of."

Abraham had followed God for 25 years and had experienced many things at the hand of the Lord. He had experienced highs and lows, victories and defeat. He had seen the power of God on many levels and had enjoyed the blessings being bestowed. The one blessing that he waited and longed for was the promise of a son. Sarah had given birth to Isaac. Now God was speaking directions into the very heart and soul of Abraham: "Give me your son." What?  God had promised the son and now He was asking Abraham to offer him back. It is amazing to me (and I'm sure most others) that Abraham immediately made preparations and took two of his servants, Isaac, and the wood for the burnt offering. Notice again, just as in the beginning, God said "I will tell thee" when you arrive at the place. We would call this blind faith to follow God without knowing where He was leading.

God brought them to Mt. Moriah where Abraham made a great statement of faith to the two men: "Abide ye here with the ass; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you." (Genesis 22:5)  Notice the tense of those verbs. Isaac and I are going there. We are going to worship. And WE are going to "come again to you."  We are told in the eleventh chapter of Hebrews that as they made the journey, Abraham knew he was going to offer Isaac and was confident that God was going to raise him up again. After all, God had promised that a nation would rise up in Isaac. What great faith was to be exercised and the great faithfulness of God would be shown. Through this event, we can learn to place that which is the absolute dearest to us into the hands of our Lord and He will guard and protect it with the covering of His grace.

Excuse the length, but I cannot stop this writing without speaking of Mt. Moriah. The city of Jerusalem would be located in Mt. Moriah. Outside the gates of Jerusalem would occur the glorious miracle of the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, our Saviour.  I have no problem believing that what was about to take place for Abraham was in the exact place where the miracle of the resurrection would take place.  Tomorrow, we will look further into the correlation between the events of Abraham and Jesus.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...