Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Genesis 22:11-13

Genesis 22:11-13    "And the angel of the LORD called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I.  (12)  And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.  (13)  And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son."

"And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood. And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son." (Genesis 22:9-10) Can you even begin to imagine what was going through his mind as he was about to plunge the knife into Isaac?  God had fulfilled His promise to give a son. We are looking back upon this instance, but Abraham was in the moment. "Lord, you promised me a son and you gave him to me. Lord, you promised through Isaac to give a nation. Now, Lord, even though I don't understand as you are telling me to offer him back to you, I do believe you are faithful to your promises. So, Lord, however you choose to accomplish this, I am trusting you."  Yes, I can write those words as I sit here in the comfort of my home. I can write those words because I know the outcome. You can also. But Abraham could not have known what was about to happen. Even though he did tell Isaac that God would provide Himself a lamb for the burnt offering. Whatever was going through his mind, Abraham was set upon following the direction of the Lord.  "Almighty God, I give my son back into your hand and I trust your intention and action upon my life." And for us today, "Lord whatever you are asking, I want to be submissive to your will."

Yes, we know God provided the ram to be offered in the stead of Isaac. God never intended for Abraham to follow through, for He knew what was going to happen. He knew Abraham was willing, by faith, to do what he was told. This was not in order for God to find out what Abraham would do. No, this was for Abraham to see what God would do for him.  "Abraham lifted up his eyes and looked..."  What did he see?  Well, it's obvious he saw the ram caught in the thicket. He saw that God indeed provided that ram to take the place of Isaac. But when you and I look at the complete picture, we can see that Abraham saw well beyond that moment. Jesus tells us what Abraham saw when he lifted up his eyes: "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad." (John 8:56)  I don't know to what extent Abraham was able to see, but he obviously saw the unconditional love and absolute faithfulness of the Almighty God.  He saw that God would indeed "provide Himself a lamb for a burnt offering." John announced that ultimate Lamb of God as being our precious Lord Jesus Christ.   Praise God, that Lamb was God's "burnt offering in our stead."

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion (Video): I Will Fear No Evil - Psalm 23:4

Daily Devotion: Knowing God By Bearing Fruit

Some will notice the title is not “Bearing fruit because we know God,” so to avoid getting sidetracked with that, we can start with the fact that we won’t bear any godly fruit unless our heart has been changed and the Holy Spirit dwells within us. Also, to avoid confusion, I’ll be using the terms “bearing fruit,” “good works” and “service” interchangeably.  I took this article’s title from Part 7, of John Piper’s “Look at the Book” session on Colossians 1:9-12. I greatly encourage you to view that short video to get his excellent exposition on this subject.  When I saw the title of the video earlier this year, I got kind of excited because that’s the direction my thinking has gone in the past several years. My thinking was founded Biblically with verses on good works like Matthew 5:16 – “In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father, who is in heaven.” But I couldn’t expand it to expla...