Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Genesis 22:7-8

Genesis 22:7-8    "And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?  (8)  And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together."

Abraham and Isaac left the two men at the bottom of the mountain and proceeded to the place where God would show him. Today's verses speak of the conversation that took place between father and son. It is apparent that Isaac knew the procedure for offering sacrifices unto the Lord. Apparently they took wood and a torch with them to begin the fire for the sacrifice. As he looked around, it was apparent that he noticed the absence of a sacrificial lamb. "Father, where is the lamb for a burnt offering?" We are missing something, aren't we? I'm sure he would not have formed the question in that manner, but he did realize a lamb would be required for the offering. Abraham's answer is such a beautiful picture of what God would do, not only for them, but ultimately it is the image we can share in our hearts this morning. "God will provide HIMSELF a lamb for a burnt offering."  The answer satisfied Isaac and they continued their walk up the mountain.

There is so much to be seen in this chapter of Abraham's life, but I want to think about his faith. For three days, Isaac was going to be the sacrifice that would be offered to God. In Abraham's mind, he was going to go through with the action of giving his son back to God.  That certainly required a great faith and love for the Lord. Abraham was required to relinquish control over his own life; for, Isaac was that which he had waited 25 years to receive. Now God was telling him to give Isaac back. There is so much more to say about this chapter, but this morning I want us to think about this: Could I hand back to God the very thing that I love the most? There is a Southern Gospel song that speaks of "laying my Isaac down."  Am I willing to relinquish control of my life into the very hands of God?  Do I trust Him enough to realize that He only has the best purpose for my life - even when His will seems to be going contrary to what I desire?  May I have the faith of Abraham in trusting God's plan for my life.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51