Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Genesis 28:20-21

Genesis 28:20-21    "And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,  (21)  So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God"

Isaac and Rebekah had twin sons, Jacob and Esau. There are many things to be said concerning these two individuals, but I want to hit some high points concerning Jacob. We know, with Rebekah's help, he cheated his brother out of his birthright. He lied to his father in order to receive the blessing that rightfully belonged to Esau. He was quite crafty concerning getting his way through life. We can go so far as to say he was a deceitful man; yet, the Word of God says, "Jacob have I loved and Esau have I hated."  After cheating him, Esau made a declaration that he would not rest until he killed his brother.

Today's verses occur in the time when Jacob has escaped for his life.  He is on his way to see Rebekah's family when he stops to spend the night in this place. This is where he saw in a dream, "... a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it."  In that dream, God made a promise to Jacob that he would receive the blessing of Abraham and Isaac. It would be through Jacob that all the world would be blessed. (It would be through the lineage of Jacob that Jesus would be born.) . It is apparent at this point that Jacob still felt he could make his own way through life. But he is beginning to mature to the place where he realizes he will need much help. Thus he said to God, "If you will.... then you shall be my God..."

Can you imagine having such nerves? I ask that and yet I know there have been times in my life when I have said something similar. "Lord, if you will do this, then I will do such and so...."  Have you ever tried to bargain with God?  Jacob tried. I have tried. I am thinking the majority, if not everyone, has tried to make such bargains.  My thought this morning is this:  God is worthy of my life being committed to Him no matter what is happening to me at the moment."  I don't need to try to make any bargains with God.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51