Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Genesis 29:20

Genesis 29:20    "And Jacob served seven years for Rachel; and they seemed unto him but a few days, for the love he had to her."

I believe there were specific words, given by God, that Jacob carried in his heart as he traveled.  "And, behold, I am with thee, and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest, and will bring thee again into this land; for I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of." (Genesis 28:15) There is no mention of anyone else traveling with Jacob so it was important to understand that God was traveling with him as he was making this journey.  God had told him, "I am with thee and will keep thee." Isn't that a wonderful promise to hold in the heart?

Jacob had arrived at the home of his Uncle Laban. He first met Rachel upon his arrival there and instantly fell in love with her. He had carried the promise of God that had been given to him in his dream as he traveled to this place.  If you read through the 29th chapter of Genesis, you will see deception being returned back to Jacob. He had deceived his brother and his father in order to receive the blessing of Isaac. Now he was being deceived and ended up working 21 years for Rachel and enough goods to provide for his family. Today's verse speaks of the first seven years that "seemed unto him but a few days." His love for Rachel was such that he joyfully spent those years in order to receive her. But again, I believe the words of God carried him throughout those 21 years. "I am with thee and will keep thee."

My thoughts for today are scattered, but we can go through this life with a better understanding and hope if we will hold those same words in our hearts. "I am with thee and will keep thee." God has made the same promise to us. The Lord willing, we will see Monday that Jacob came to know exactly what those words meant as he was faced with a dilemma that caused him to become unnerved. We do well if we also hold those words in our hearts each day. Let me conclude with the same promise that is found in the New Testament. "Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.  (6)  So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me." (Hebrews 13:5-6)  Those words are just as true in hard times as well as in the good. Hold them tight.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51