Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Genesis 41:50-52

Genesis 41:50-52    "And unto Joseph were born two sons before the years of famine came, which Asenath the daughter of Potipherah priest of On bare unto him.  (51)  And Joseph called the name of the firstborn Manasseh: For God, said he, hath made me forget all my toil, and all my father's house.  (52)  And the name of the second called he Ephraim: For God hath caused me to be fruitful in the land of my affliction."

Quite honestly, we could go months in the study of Joseph. Instead, I want us to look at a couple matters concerning him. First, you will find there was one constant throughout his life that is found in these words, "And the LORD was with Joseph..." (Genesis 39:2)  Joseph had been sold into slavery by his own brothers, but "the LORD was with Joseph." He had been falsely accused by the wife of  the captain of the guard, but "the LORD was with Joseph."  He had been forgotten while in prison, "but the LORD was with Joseph."  Because  "the LORD was with Joseph," he was elevated to second in command over all Egypt. I encourage you to once again read the entire story of his life, but the main thought I have this morning is (and I repeat it once again)  "the LORD was with Joseph."  Because of the favour of God, Joseph was placed in a position to be able to deliver his father and brothers from the seven year famine that was in the land.

We see today's text: "God hath made me forget all my toil." And then we read, "God hath caused me to be fruitful in the land of my affliction." When we look at the end of his story, we hear Joseph telling his brothers, "But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive." (Genesis 50:20)  There are circumstances and situations which come into our lives that can bring distress and anxiety. We could experience much more peace and comfort, if we could only see beyond the visible to understand that God is working in our lives to bring about good.  If we could understand that, then we also would be able to say with Joseph, "God has made me forget all my toil and has caused me to be fruitful in the land of my affliction."  God is able to bring peace and joy out of our struggles if we keep our hearts and minds stayed upon Him.  "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee." (Isaiah 26:3)

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51