Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Genesis 50:25-26

Genesis 50:25-26    "And Joseph took an oath of the children of Israel, saying, God will surely visit you, and ye shall carry up my bones from hence.  (26)  So Joseph died, being an hundred and ten years old: and they embalmed him, and he was put in a coffin in Egypt."

Exodus 13:18-19    "But God led the people about, through the way of the wilderness of the Red sea: and the children of Israel went up harnessed out of the land of Egypt.  (19)  And Moses took the bones of Joseph with him: for he had straitly sworn the children of Israel, saying, God will surely visit you; and ye shall carry up my bones away hence with you."

Do you have any momentos of special occasions in your life? Do you ever buy souvenirs when you are on vacation? What is the purpose of carrying something around that has no life in it? For me, those things stir sweet memories to come into your heart and mind? Why would Joseph want his bones to be carried out of Egypt into the promised land? He died and no longer inhabited them. What would they represent to Moses and the children of Israel? May I suggest those bones were more than just a sentimental reminder to the people? The people of Israel had been in Egypt for over 400 years. There is no doubt that the life of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and also Joseph had been passed down from generation to generation. Abraham's life reminded them of God's PROMISE of the new land that flowed with milk and honey. Isaac's life reminded them of God's PROVISION for each day. Jacob's life reminded them of God's ABILITY TO CHANGE circumstances and situations. And Joseph's life reminded them that God was able to PROTECT them even in tough times.  Joseph's bones would be a reminder for the children of Israel to keep their eyes and hearts on the joy that was set before them to which God was taking them.

Some may disagree with what I am about to say, but for me, the cross is one such reminder for me. There is no life in the cross, nor is Jesus still on that cross. But it reminds me of the great love my Saviour has for me that He endured the suffering and shame in order for me to enjoy eternal and everlasting life with Him today and for all eternity. The cross reminds me that "with his stripes we are healed." (Isaiah 53:5) The cross reminds me that every dark place and time in my life is only temporary. The cross reminds me that the grave is temporary and not my final resting place. The cross reminds me that there is a joy and lively hope set before me through Jesus Christ that is reserved in heaven for me. The cross reminds me "... that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." (Romans 8:18)  I'm thankful they remembered to take Joseph's bones with them as a reminder that Egypt was not their final place of abode. I am thankful that when I see the cross, I am reminded that "... God so loved the world (me), that he gave his only begotten Son..."

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51