Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 13:8

John 13:8   "Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me."

This was the night Jesus was betrayed by one of His own disciples. There are many wonderful thoughts concerning this precious scene.  We read, Jesus "...  riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself." (John 13:3-4)

The lowest servant was always stationed at the door with water and a towel to wash the dusty feet of all visitors. As Jesus' disciples watched this unfolding, they understood what the action represented; but they could not see Jesus as that lowest of servants. It was with this understanding that Peter said, "Thou shalt never wash my feet." Peter could not see the Lord as that humble servant and did not feel himself worthy of Jesus bowing to wash his feet..

Notice Jesus' answer, "If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me." I'm sure there are many thoughts as to what Jesus meant, but I am seeing this as Jesus telling Peter that this was part of the total picture of the purpose for Jesus' being on earth. He was about to accomplish several things within the next 24 hours - the greatest of which  is our redemption. But also, Jesus showed the ultimate act of humility by becoming the lowly servant.

Paul wrote it in this manner, "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus..." (Philippians 2:5) He went on to write concerning Jesus, He "made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself..." (Philippians 2:7-8 ) Jesus' action of washing the feet of His disciples was a beautiful act of humility and showed us that we are to humble ourselves in service to others.

It seems to me that I cannot have an active part of Christian  service (be a partaker) with Jesus without first humbling myself to be a servant.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51