Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Galatians 2:20-21 (Part 5)

Galatians 2:20-21    "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.  (21)  I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain."

"I am crucified with Christ."  Because of the work of Jesus, I am no longer under the penalty of the law of God. The law is righteous and holy and VERY demanding. God requires perfection and in my flesh, I am far from perfect. God required a perfect sacrifice to be offered as an atonement for sin. Perfection had to be given in place of imperfection. That is why the Israelites had to observe their sacrificial lambs to make sure there were no blemishes in the animal. But, those sacrifices under the law could never take away our sins; rather, they only served to remind the people of their need for a Saviour.  Hence, God, by His grace, sent His only begotten Son into the world to be that perfect, sinless, sacrificial Lamb of God. He was observed for three and a half years by many people. We have at least four witnesses who testified of His goodness. Judas said, "I have betrayed innocent blood." The wife of Pilate said, "Have thou nothing to do with that just man." Pilate declared, "I find in Him no fault."  Peter spoke of Christ, He "did no sin." (1 Peter 2:22)  He also wrote of Jesus, "Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God." (1 Peter 3:18)   These speak to my heart, but the greatest witness is the Holy Spirit within me Who tells me that all of these witnesses are true in their assessment of Jesus. My heart tells me that Jesus, indeed, died for my sins; therefore, I do not frustrate, or hold in a low opinion, the grace of God.

If there had been any other way for atonement to be made for my sins, then Christ would not have had to die. If my keeping the law was sufficient, Jesus would not have had to be nailed to that cross. If my repentance, within itself, had been enough, Jesus would not have had to suffer. If there had been anything that I could have done to make myself right with God, Jesus would not have had to give His life for me. But the fact remains just as Isaiah stated, "All my righteousnesses are as filthy rags." Anything I could have done would have been far short of perfection because of my imperfection. Therefore, the perfect Lamb of God laid down His life for me that I might live in Him.  "I (my sins) am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."  I shall praise Him for all eternity!

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51